Celebrations - we celebrated this milestone on Sunday 18th
October. Approximately 60 friends and interested people
witnessed the launch of our new book "50 Years of Collecting"
which was compiled by our secretary Helen Stevens, with help from
other members. Our newest publication was launched by Mr Athol
Kelly, grandson of Mr JH Kelly, the original blacksmith and political
father of Pyramid Hill. Following the launch Athol told some of
his family "Kelly Gang" yarns which caused much amusement.
Helen Stevens, Arthur Young (Pres)
and Athol Kelly
Long time member Ernie Pickles
cutting the cake
"FIFTY YEARS OF COLLECTING" - a book celebrating our
history and our collection, with many memorable colour photos.
Collecting spans from when the Stations commenced in the 1840's
including when selectors came in the 1870's to the present day.
We are grateful to those first members who started this valuable and
fascinating collection before it was lost forever.
Historical Society was formed in 1965 and since then has undertaken
the enormous task of collecting, documenting and cataloguing over
6000 historically significant items.......see our Collections page for more details.
Check out our Publications page for a list of Books and DVD's available for order.
"THE WAY WE WERE" - a series of
filmed interviews with some of our
older local residents
and now available on DVD.
"THE WAY WE WERE" Europe to Pyramid Hill -
with Harriet Schmidt, Ivan Vanderwall & Inge Gottschling
*THE WAY WE WERE IN MINCHA
- with Thelma Mellier, Linton Mills and Bruce Newstead.
*MEMORIES OF MINCHA - with
Lloyd Mills and Allan Mann
THE WAY WE WERE IN PYRAMID HILL
- Cheryl McKinnon speaks with Wanda Atkins, John Carroll and Ian
Available as a two disk set
main building was opened in 1970 by Sir Rohan Delacombe.
The local granite foundation stone, donated by Athol Kelly,
unveiled by Mr Gordon McKay MM.
main building houses household memorabilia and hotographs,
family histories and records
which are available for research.
The annexe has displays of demi-johns and bottles, buckles, farm
tools, and electrical equipment. The relocated RSL hall houses war
memorabilia including photographs and Honour Boards from Pyramid
Hill and surrounding districts.
Today's news is tomorrow's history and our volunteers are committed
to the preservation of the collections and encourages both local
folk and visitors to catch a glimpse of the early life of Pyramid
Hill and district.
Loddon Discovery Tours representatives regularly bring their tourist
buses to our museum for a browse and morning tea or lunch, with
many visitors returning for a second or third time.
We have been awarded Best Museum in the Loddon Shire
on several occasions.
The museum is open to the public on Tuesdays from 10am to 3pm and on
the first Sunday of each month from 2pm to 4pm, all other times
are by appointment.
Pyramid Hill & District
McKay Street, Pyramid Hill Vic 3575
to send us an email click here